Android devices usually come with pre-installed system apps or bloatware. Most of them don’t cause any issues and are essential in the phone or tablet. And one of such is Configapk.
Due to some misconceptions about system apps, most people may presume that Configapk is dangerous. But that’s not the case. It’s also not malware, spyware, or virus.
This article will tell you what you need to know about Configapk. Read for more!
What Is Configapk?
Configapk is a system application that’s pre-installed on smartphones or tablets. It runs on the Android operating system. It’s also responsible for app installation and system configuration when setting up the device for the first time.
Configapk also executes the installing and uninstalling tasks in your android device. It runs in the background. That’s why users are usually suspicious of the app. But it doesn’t harm your phone.
You may see it in the “com.android.autoinstalls.config” package. For Samsung, the package name is “android.autoinstalls.config.samsung.” APK (Android Package Kit) is the android application distribution format.
The system app is available in Android OS from 5.0 (Lollipop) to the latest versions. It only takes about 20KB of memory space. That’s why it won’t affect the device.
Even though Configapk is harmless, there are times when some users complain because of some problems with it. In case of such inconvenience, it’s best to disable the app rather than deleting it. But you can decide to do so if you don’t want it.
If you notice your phone or tablet behaving abnormally, run a scan on it. And clean the device with a trusted malware scanner. Another option is to restore it to the factory setting.
Does Configapk Require Permissions?
Configapk doesn’t require permission to run on Android. That’s because it’s a pre-installed system app and has a specific function. It won’t matter if the app needs permission or not. It’s so because it performed its primary function when you did the initial device configuration.
If you want to check it out on your device, you can go to “settings.” Then open “apps” and select “system apps.” Choose “Configapk” and tap “permissions.”
Benefits Of Configapk
Here are the benefits of Configapk you should consider before deleting or disabling it.
Responsible for language choice:
Configapk is in charge of language choice in your Android smartphone. This feature of the app is handy during the initial setup process of your device. That’s why you’re able to select your preferred language.
Contain Android assets:
Configapk contains the Android assets, which are helpful for your device. They enable you to add arbitrary files like fonts, text, music, video, and XML to your application.
Contain local libraries:
The system app contains local libraries. They are used for adding system applications during the initial phone setup.
Libraries include all the tools needed to build up an app like source code, android manifest, resource files, and so on.
Aids automatic app installation and deletion:
Configapk is also useful for automatic app installation and deletion. That’s because it computes the Android OS architecture and provides configuration services.
Problems Associated With Configapk
Configapk takes very little memory space and so shouldn’t pose any threat. But some Android users think otherwise. Here are some of the problems that they associate with the system app.
In some rare cases, Configapk may start crashing frequently. That can hinder you from using your phone freely and is frustrating. It usually occurs as a result of corrupt file installation or cache conflict.
To solve this problem, you may not need to disable or uninstall the app. Clearing the cache can fix the issue. All you have to do is to go to “settings” and select “app.” Then select “Configapk” and hit “clear cache.” That will fix it.
There are instances where some users say the app drains the battery faster than expected. However, there’s no evidence to prove that it is Configapk and no authorized source to back the claim.
However, you can consider disabling or uninstalling the app if you face this problem.
Slow down device:
Like in battery draining issues, there’s no proof that Configapk is the cause of this problem. But there are claims from some users that it slows down their phones. If it’s so with yours, then you may have to uninstall or disable it.
Like Windows OS, any executable can be associated with malware and named anything. That’s why you have to scan your device whenever you notice suspicious activities.
If the malware bears the name Configapk, you may think it’s the regular system app. So scan your phone with a security application. Ensure the anti-virus software is legitimate.
Another thing to do is to perform a quick check for such apps in safe mode. To do that, press down the power button to shut down your phone or tablet.
Then turn on your device and wait for the animation to start running. When it’s still running, press and hold down the Volume up and down buttons simultaneously. Once it finishes booting, you’ll see the safe mode icon.
When your device is in safe mode, tap on the app folder. Then uninstall the suspicious apps.
Running in the background:
Configapk typically runs in the background. But some people see this as a threat because it may drain the battery faster. Remember that you should feel at ease when using your phone. So, you can disable the app if it makes you uncomfortable.
It’s important to note that, unlike most system apps, removing or disabling Configapk won’t affect your device. It can still function normally without the app. However, check the CPU or battery usage of other apps running in the background before you do so.
How To Disable Configapk
If you don’t want Configapk running in the background, then you can disable it. Here are the steps to do so.
- Go to “settings” on your Android.
- Now go to “apps.”
- Then tap on the three dots on the top right of the menu and then select “system apps.”
- Next, search for “Configapk,” and once you find it, click on it.
- Tap on “disable” and then restart your smartphone.
- Now the app won’t run in the background anymore.
How To Uninstall Configapk
If you don’t want Configapk on your device, you can uninstall it. But it’s not easy to uninstall it directly from the phone setting. And that’s because it’s a system app.
However, you can remove it using two methods. They include using Android Debug Bridge (ADB) and through the system app removal method.
The ADB communicates with phones that run on Android Operating System. It can give commands to your device. And so it can help you uninstall Configapk.
It can be a hassle using ADB because you may mess up other things. So consider disabling the app if you can’t follow the steps for uninstalling using ADB.
Ensure you have access to a computer before you start using this method. Then follow these steps to uninstall Configapk.
- First, tap on “settings” on your smartphone and select “About phone.”
- Next, tap the build number seven times to activate the developers’ option. Skip this step if you’ve activated it already.
- Please tap on the developers’ option and then enable USB debugging by tapping on it.
- On your computer, download ADB and install the application.
- Right-click the unzipped file and select “open Powershell windows here.”
- Use a USB to connect your phone to your PC.
- In the command prompt, type “adb devices.” You’ll notice a pop-up on your phone requesting you to create an ADB connection. Select “allow.”
- Now input “adb devices” into the command prompt again. It’ll show your device ID. That shows the ADB connection was successful.
- Finally, in the command prompt, type “adb shell pm uninstall -user 0 android.autoinstalls.config” and click “enter.” All you have to do now is to wait for some minutes. Then Configapk will no longer be on your phone.
Note that you can disable Configapk with the ADB method. All you have to do is replace “uninstall” with “disable” in the command prompt.
Using System App removal method
When using this method, your phone needs to have root access. You can download the root checker app from Playstore to be sure that it does. If you’ve rooted your device, then follow these steps to uninstall Configapk.
- First, download the System App Removal and then install it on your smartphone.
- In the search bar of the app, input Configapk.
- Please tap on the system app (Configapk) once it comes up.
- Then select “uninstall.” The app will no longer be on your phone permanently.
Configapk is an executable that’s pre-installed on all Android devices. It’s essential for auto installations, configurations, and language selections in new phones or tablets. And it’s a harmless system app.
Although it takes little memory space, some users associate the app with various problems. Some of them include battery draining and crashing of devices. You can decide to disable or remove the app if you don’t want it running on your device.
- Verizon Bloatware (list Of Apps + How To Remove)
- Verizon App Manager (your Complete Guide)
- What Is Carrier Hub? Must-know Android App
- Amazon Notifications Not Working (12 Potential Fixes + Faqs)
- What Is Verizon Mdm? (all You Need To Know)
- Verizon Login Not Working (list Of Potential Fixes + Faqs)
- Verizon Number Lock (what Is It + Other Common Faqs)
- What Is Verizon Smart Family? (how It Works, Parent Controls + More)
- Amazon Photos Not Working (12 Potential Fixes + Faqs)
- Why Is Prime Video Not Working On My Samsung Tv? (list Of Potential Fixes + Faqs)