Amazon has spent more than thirty years streamlining the delivery of packages. Safety and confidence have become very important to them. No one wants to place an order for a package that isn’t going to arrive.
Signature confirmation is a key element of safe package delivery. Although delivery companies have required signatures for certain packages since the beginning of time, it is sometimes unclear if something you ordered will need one.
Continue reading to learn more about Amazon’s signature requirements and how you can find out if your Amazon delivery requires a signature.
Is Amazon Requiring Signature?
Amazon orders are usually delivered without signature unless they exceed $500. Fedex and UPS may have different rules, but most do not.
Continue reading to find out more about Amazon’s delivery policies and expectations.
Amazon requires a signature for expensive items
Many delivery companies offer signature confirmation for packages. A variety of package types will require signature confirmation, depending on which company is delivering it, where you are located, and what type of item it is. Amazon does not have a clear policy statement on the location and time signatures are required for deliveries.
Ask Amazon states that orders exceeding $500 require a signature from the US. This applies to Amazon Logistics orders. If you order from Amazon directly, please be prepared to sign.
Amazon third-party sellers may have different delivery companies. They may have different delivery policies, such as when and where a signature must be provided. These are the most common carriers that Amazon orders in the US can be fulfilled by:
- US Postal Service
- DHL Express
UPS offers signature confirmation for value-added services such as orders above a certain dollar amount. Most companies will inform you in the shipping confirmation email if your delivery requires a signature. You will need to contact the respective customer service to find out more about each company’s policies.
Which Deliveries Need a Signature?
Amazon Logistics and most other common carriers do not require signatures for most deliveries. For orders exceeding a certain amount of money, however, most couriers will require a signature. This is $500 for Amazon Logistics in the US. The country where you reside may have different policies.
Most delivery services require signatures for certain orders, even orders exceeding a certain dollar amount. This includes, but isn’t limited to:
- All orders include alcohol
- Orders that include firearm-related items
- Orders include pharmaceuticals
These orders require signatures. In most cases, the signatory must also prove their age by using a government-issued photo ID. These laws may differ if you are outside the United States.
How do I know if my package requires a signature?
Different couriers may require different signatures. Signatures are required for orders that have items that are extremely valuable or cannot legally be given to anyone under 21 years old.
You can check the email confirmation that was sent to confirm whether your package requires a signature. You will usually receive shipping confirmation emails that contain important information such as your tracking number. You will usually be informed if you will need to sign for the delivery of your package.
There are many types of signatures that are required.
- Indirect signatures. These signatures can be signed by anyone who is present to receive the package. Signatory doesn’t need to present identification and the name on the package does not have to match it.
- Signatures from adults These signatures are from an adult at delivery. For certain items such as alcohol and firearms, this will be required. When signing for the package, signatories will be required to show proof of age. It is important to have a valid ID.
- Signatures by direct. Direct signatures are when someone who is physically present at the delivery address must sign the package. Direct signatures are required for deliveries that require a signature. These delivery must be made to the address indicated on the label and not to an individual. Delivery may be re-attempted if there is no one to receive the package.
Learn more about Amazon These articles will help you learn more about Amazon.
Any courier service must be concerned about safety. Amazon Logistics is well-known for its efficient and expedient services. However, their policy regarding signature confirmation can sometimes be unclear.
It is a good idea to be ready to sign for your parcel, especially if it is very valuable or contains items that are only available to adults. Your shipping confirmation email will usually include information about signature confirmation.
Feel free to post any concerns or questions in the comments section.
- Does Ups Require A Signature? (how To Tell, Leaving Without Signature, Adult Signature + More)
- Does Usps Require Signature? (how To Tell, Leaving Without Signature, Adult Signature + More)
- Do Amazon Packages Require A Signature? (+ Other Common Faqs)
- Usps Adult Signature (all You Need To Know)
- Does Fedex Require A Signature? (expensive Items, Smartpost, Home Delivery + More)
- What Is Proof Of Delivery Usps? (+ Other Common Faqs)
- What Time Does Amazon Deliver Packages? (Time, What To Expect, & More)
- Amazon Order Says Delivered But Not Received (What To Do)
- Usps Restricted Delivery (meaning, What To Do + More)
- Package Departed An Amazon Facility (What Does It Mean + Other Faqs)