Choosing a car begins with the type of body. The dimensions of the vehicle, the capacity of the passenger compartment, and the luggage compartment depend on it. Moreover, in some cases, the passability of the car and the level of driving safety depend on the type of body. If you are a former traveler looking for free junk camper removal services to buy a car for commuting and groceries, this article is for you.
Advantages and disadvantages of different body types
Each car model is made in one of the body types. The body is a kind of base on which the main units and components are fixed. All types of such a design are classified according to the shape, the number of doors, seats, functionality, and purpose. Modern models are produced in various body styles, which determine, among other things, the cost of the car, its dimensions, and the intended category of buyers.
Let’s look at the advantages and disadvantages of different body types so you can make the right decision before buying a car.
This is a classic three-volume body where the engine and luggage compartments are clearly distinguished. They can be outlined separately from the passenger compartment. There are four doors and two rows of full-size seats.
- The load-bearing structure of the engine compartment and trunk absorbs more impact energy in the event of an accident. The body better protects people from front and rear impacts.
- The trunk is separated from the passenger compartment so odors do not penetrate inside.
- Good soundproofing. When the car doors are opened, cold or hot air from outside does not enter the passenger compartment.
- More even distribution of weight along the axles, improving handling.
- The rear window is less dirty when driving on wet roads.
- The capacity of the luggage compartment is small. In most cars, it cannot be increased by expanding the seats.
- The long body reduces the maneuverability of the car, causing problems with parking and urban traffic jams.
This is a two-volume car body with a short rear overhang. To access the luggage compartment, an additional door is used, which rises up along with the glass. Hatchbacks can be five- or three-door. The car can use both classic doors like a sedan, and elongated doors (one on each side). The advantage of the first option is the convenience when getting into the car, and the second option is the increased rigidity of the body.
- Compact dimensions, better maneuverability.
- Easy loading of luggage thanks to the wide and high tailgate.
- For most models, you can transform the interior by folding the rear seats and freeing up more space for cargo.
- The short rear overhang makes it easier to maneuver in the parking lot and helps to better feel the dimensions.
- The trunk is not separated from the passenger compartment, so the air warms up and cools down much longer than in a sedan.
- Worse soundproofing. More hot or cold air enters the cabin.
- Smells from the transported cargo penetrate into the cabin.
A two-volume car body with a long rear overhang, in which a spacious luggage compartment is located. The package is similar to the sedan, but the roofline is raised at the rear, and a hatchback-style liftgate is used to access the trunk.
- A very large luggage compartment in which you can carry bulky goods.
- In most models, the rear seats fold down easily, increasing the amount of free space.
- Slow acceleration, increased fuel consumption.
- The cost is 10-15% higher compared to the sedan.
- It will take a lot of time to heat the huge space of the passenger compartment and trunk.
These are off-road vehicles. Technically, they are station wagons (rarely sedans, coupes, and hatchbacks) with increased ground clearance, shortened overhangs, and larger-diameter wheels. Many models have all-wheel drive, but this is not a prerequisite for inclusion in the crossover category.
- Increased permeability.
- The car looks more solid compared to the station wagon.
- The dimensions of the crossover are smaller than those of the SUV, the maneuverability is higher.
- Trunk capacity and carrying capacity are greater than that of a sedan.
- The cost is 15–20% more than station wagons.
- All-wheel drive versions are more expensive to maintain.
- Higher fuel consumption due to worse aerodynamic properties.
For such cars, there is no strict classification by body type. As a rule, these are all-wheel drive station wagons capable of moving in extreme conditions of deserts, swamps, mountains, and hills with steep slopes.
- High cross-country ability thanks to a short wheelbase, minimal overhangs, and high ground clearance.
- Roomy interior with plenty of headroom.
- Large trunk; for many models, the interior is easily transformed.
- Large SUVs can be 7- and 8-seater
- Fuel consumption is much higher compared to crossovers and other passenger cars.
- Due to the complexity of the all-wheel drive transmission, maintenance costs increase.
- High ground clearance makes landing difficult.
- The speed and dynamics of acceleration on asphalt are worse than that of other passenger cars.
Recommendations for choosing a body type
The choice of the optimal body type for a passenger car involves the obligatory consideration of existing needs and areas of operation of the car. It is also recommended to take into account the characteristics of the driver:
- For a novice driver, it is not recommended to purchase a large car. The best solution would be a hatchback, sedan, or small station wagon.
- The choice of body type for a girl must be made taking into account the convenience of driving a car, its cross-country ability, and the safety of operation.
- For a young guy, the best solution is a crossover, a large sedan, or a hatchback.
- For a large family, the number of passenger seats and a spacious interior are of fundamental importance. Such parameters may have a minivan, station wagon, or crossover with three rows of seats.
- For the transport of goods. With an infrequent need to transport goods, large items can be placed in the cabin of a large SUV or crossover. But for the constant operation of the car for this purpose, it is better to purchase a van or pickup truck.
Today, a huge range of cars are produced in various bodies, differing in their design, materials used, technological solutions, cost, and other parameters. If you have decided on the body type of a new car and are ready to free up space in the garage, JunkCarsUs will help you with this. The company buys cars in various conditions, including old used cars, and wrecked cars. You can sell a car with any type of body, including buses and RVs at a nice price in any city in the USA.
- What Is Uber Comfort? (All You Need To Know)
- Does Uber Drive Vans Or Suvs (all You Need To Know)
- What Is Uber Go? (all You Need To Know)
- What Is Uber X? (all You Need To Know)
- What Is Uber Green? (all You Need To Know)
- American Airlines Stroller Policy (can You Check Them In, Into The Cabin + Other Faqs)
- What Are Uber Lux Cars? (all You Need To Know)
- Does American Airlines Allow Carry On? (your Full Guide)
- What is a Loaner Car?
- How Do They Get Cars in the Mall?