The popularity of chai tea latte is growing in America. Some people are switching to tea after quitting coffee.
Is a chai tea latté caffeine-free? Is it just as good as ordering regular latte? We found this out…
Does Starbucks Chai Tea Contain Caffeine?
Starbucks chai tea does contain caffeine. However, the amount will vary depending on how big your chai is and how it’s made. A grande chai tea latte contains 95mg caffeine, while a shorter version has 50mg. The dirty chai latte has 160 mg of caffeine.
We will be looking at the Starbucks tea menu, the caffeine content of each drink, and what to look for if your goal is to have a great cup of tea without the caffeine boost ….
What is Chai Tea?
The origins of Chai tea are in India. It’s history goes back over 5000 years. Chai in India means tea, but “chai,” in the West, refers to a specific type or flavour of tea.
Chai tea can be described as a spiced black tea that is made by boiling tea leaves in water and milk, and then adding aromatic herbs and spices.
These spices include black pepper, cardamom and cinnamon. Chai tea also includes milk and sweeteners.
How Much Caffeine Is In Starbucks Chai Tea?
Starbucks chai teas typically have around 40 mg per cup. This is due to the fact that chai tea is made from black tea leaves which naturally contain caffeine.
This will depend on what you want and how it is made.
The large or grande chai tea option contains approximately 90mg of caffeine.
You can also edit the toppings, milk, flavours and sugars of your tea when you are making it.
You can also add an espresso shot to your chai, regardless of how big it is.
Does Starbucks Chai Tea Have More Caffeine Than Coffee?
Chai tea may contain the same amount as regular coffee or even more. It all depends on how much you drink and how big your cup is.
Starbucks Chai tea is usually lower in caffeine that the average cup of coffee, because tea leaves contain less caffeine than coffee beans.
Starbucks however, makes their chai using “pumps”, which are chai syrups. The number of pumps they use depends on the size of your cup.
- Two pumps are required for a hot short.
- Three pumps are required for a hot tall.
- A hot grande contains 4 pumps
- A venti receives 5 pumps
- A tall iced Chai tall can be made using 3 pumps
- A 4 pump iced grande comes with 4 pumps
- A chilled venti will contain 6 pumps
Do Starbucks Sell Caffeine Free Tea?
Starbucks has a wide selection of teas. They offer everything from high-caffeinated chai drinks, to low-caffeine and caffeine-free varieties.
These herbal teas from Starbucks don’t contain caffeine
- Iced passion tango lemonade (this is not tea, but a tea-flavored drink)
- Mint majesty (hot)
- Peach tranquillity (hot).
- Iced passion tango tea
- Comfort Brewed Wellness Tea (hot)
These Starbucks teas have a low caffeine content:
- Iced black tea
- Iced white tea
- Iced green tea
- Hot honey citrus mint tea
- Hot Emperor’s cloud-and-mist tea
These Starbucks teas have 16mg of caffeine or less
- Emperor’s cloud and mist Tea
- Honey lemon mint tea
These Starbucks teas have a moderate amount of caffeine.
- English royal breakfast tea (hot).
- Iced London Fog Tea Latte
- Iced royal breakfast tea latte
- London fog latte (hot)
- Hot Jade mint
- Earl Grey (hot).
- Hot Chai Tea (if you don’t get the large size)
These Starbucks teas contain a lot of caffeine.
- Matcha green tea latte (hot)
- Iced Chai Tea Latte
- Iced matcha green tea latte
- Chai tea latte (hot)
What are the Different Starbucks Chai Teas?
Starbucks offers four types of chai teas. They are known for having higher levels caffeine.
- Matcha Green Tea Latte (80 mg)
- Chai Tea Latte (95 mg)
- Iced Matcha Green tea Latte (80mg)
- Iced Chai Tea Latte (95mg)
Matcha teas are made with green tea powder. This means the tea is dissolved in your drink instead of tea bags which are only removed once the desired consistency has been reached.
Matcha tea is a cup of tea that contains all the tea powder as well as the caffeine.
If you love matcha tea, make sure to ask for it in a tea bag instead of the powdered form.
Chai tea is often regarded as a healthy drink. However, it does contain caffeine. It doesn’t necessarily make Chai tea a bad one. We should be careful about what we drink and how much we drink.
Starbucks chai teas can be caffeinated. They are available in many styles and sizes.
- Does Starbucks Chai Tea Contain Caffeine? (all You Need To Know)
- Is Starbucks Matcha Sweetened? (sizes, Is It Healthy + More)
- Does Starbucks Sell Boba Tea? (Everything To Know!)
- Does Starbucks Have Matcha? (Is It Good, Sweetened & More!)
- Does Starbucks Sell Decaf Iced Coffee? (Everything To Know!)
- What Is A Handcrafted Drink At Starbucks? (Everything To Know!)
- How Much Caffeine Is In A Tim Hortons Coffee? (quantity + Other Common Faqs)
- Matcha Latte Dunkin’ (what Are They, Are They Sweet, Caffeinated + More)
- What Coffee Does Starbucks Use For Espresso? (+ Other Common Faqs)
- Does Starbucks Sell Decaf Iced Coffee? (all You Need To Know)