Amazon delivers a variety of products very quickly. Amazon delivers almost any product you order right to your doorstep, and often in just a few days. Amazon even offers food delivery to certain areas in the United States.
It might seem suspicious to order food online, but it is possible. It can be hard to know exactly what Amazon is doing to protect their customers from food safety.
Keep reading to find out more about Amazon’s food handling policies and some tips to ensure you receive safe food.
Is it safe to order food from Amazon?
Continue reading to find out more about Amazon’s safety protocols and the safety of Amazon food.
Amazon Food Orders
Since 2007, Amazon has operated a select number of grocery delivery services in selected areas. Since 2007, Amazon has been offering grocery delivery in select areas.
Although it is generally safe to order food online, there have been instances when sellers delivered expired items that were not in accordance with Amazon’s policies. Amazon Fresh provides some security, and there are fewer reports about expired items.
Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods Market offer great options for fresh food delivery to your home if you are located in eligible areas. You will need an Amazon Prime account to purchase a minimum of groceries.
Amazon employees who handle food must follow CDC guidelines to prevent the spread of food-borne diseases.
Dry foods that are packaged by third-party vendors can sometimes slip under the radar. This is why it’s important to be careful when purchasing food from Amazon.
What are Amazon’s Food Safety Procedures
The FDA inspects food facilities across the US. This includes pet food processing facilities. Every food processing facility must register with FDA and be subject to regular inspections. Amazon has repeatedly argued that they are a retail food outlet and are therefore exempted from the FDA registration requirements.
Amazon requires food sellers to obtain FDA registration certificates in order to verify that their food handling practices comply with FDA guidelines. Amazon also requires food sellers, including pet food, to adhere to their food safety investigation policies.
Food sellers must ensure that their food complies with local laws. The quality and safety requirements of food products sold on Amazon vary based on where you live.
Amazon Fresh uses in-house safety measures to ensure food safety. All food handlers must regularly wash their hands and use gloves when handling foods. Food sellers generally have requirements that are focused on traceability and accountability. You can find the specific rules and guidelines for each type of food sold on Amazon at Amazon Seller Central.
What Should You Not Buy on Amazon?
Despite Amazon having measures in place to ensure food safety, things sometimes slip through the cracks. Particularly third-party sellers have been reported as having delivered expired or poorly packaged food.
Other than this, Amazon sells food items that are more difficult to find elsewhere. You can often find items on more niche websites for lower prices than Amazon. This is a list that’s not exhaustive of items you should avoid ordering from Amazon.
- Pet Food. Amazon offers a large selection of pet food, but many of them are marked up. Chewy.com is a specialist online retailer of pet food and pet food. It’s often much cheaper to purchase pet food from them. Chewy offers a wider range of products and lower prices than Amazon.
- Trader Joes’ Products. While it is convenient to have these items delivered to your home, Amazon’s prices are often twice or three times as high as the in-store price. It will probably be cheaper to buy items through Trader Joes than to go to a store to purchase them.
- Costco Kirkland Signature Products. Kirkland has a formal partnership with Costco but Amazon outsells them when it comes to Kirkland Signature products. These products are almost always cheaper at Costco than Amazon.
- Third-party sellers can sell food. Amazon food sellers must follow certain safety precautions and documentation requirements, as we have discussed. Some products, however, are sold by third-party sellers. Dry foods, in particular, are sometimes delivered after their expiry date. This is why it is better to order through Amazon Fresh.
- Produce and other perishable products. Ordering perishable food and/or produce online is not recommended due to unpredictable delivery times. Amazon Fresh is available in eligible areas. This is an exception as they are only there to deliver fresh food directly to your home. It is still a good idea not to order perishable food online. Amazon will help you ensure food safety compliance by checking things such as expiration dates and bringing any anomalies to their attention.
You want to know more about Amazon? You can learn more about Amazon by visiting our related pots.
Since 2007, Amazon’s grocery delivery service is still going strong. Although they have had to disagree with the FDA on certain policy requirements, they have always adhered to food safety regulations at their facilities. They also insist on food safety for their selling partners, including pet food and related products.
It is important to be careful when ordering food online. You should be able to order food safely from Amazon if you take all the necessary precautions and remain alert.
Feel free to post any concerns or questions in the comments section.
- Should I Tip Amazon Delivery Driver? (Find Out!)
- Is Amazon Fresh Included In Prime? (Everything To Know…)
- Is Amazon Fresh Included With Prime? (Your Full Guide)
- How To Return Amazon Fresh Totes? (Easy!)
- Is Amazon Fresh More Expensive Than Grocery Store? (What To Know!)
- Buying Dog Food On Amazon (Is It A Good Place To Buy, Is It Safe + More)
- Do You Tip Amazon Fresh Drivers? (Everything You Need To Know!)
- Amazon Return Policy After 30 Days (Everything You Need To Know)
- Where Does Amazon Fresh Come From? (Everything To Know)
- When Does Amazon Fresh Restock? (How Often, Out Of Stock Items, + More!)